Thursday, June 13, 2013

Plan for Executing "Setting A Goal"

As I stated in my previous post, I have set a goal of studying one hour every day for my aviation courses.  Now that I have had time to mull over my bold new idea, I find myself struggling and wishing I had tried something a little easier. 

Sure, for most people, this doesn’t seem like a lot.  It actually seems pretty easy.  But have you ever read a manual on how to do a flight procedure? Or read a book of regulations that are stuffed so many to a page you almost need a magnifying glass to see the words?  It’s not just incredibly boring; it’s monotonous.  Some of the concepts are easy enough to understand, but others are hard unless you’re in an actual aircraft and able to see what you need to see. 

But I set forth this goal knowing it was achievable, so I will bite my tongue, and just do it.
I need a studying method though.  I need an incentive that will push me to do it every single day.*

The possibility of a more receptive mind isn’t tangible enough, and therefore, isn’t rewarding.  But I have an idea…

If I built a calendar, and crossed off every day that I studied, I’d not only be able to physically feel the satisfaction of checking off the day, but I’ll be able to more easily count down the days until I don’t have to do this anymore.  It’ll be my positive reinforcement and will encourage me to keep going so that I can get that rush of accomplishment every day.*

 (This may not seem like a reward to normal people, but I get an incredible high after I cross something off of my to-do list.  It’s addictive.  I love finishing projects and feeling like I’ve done something, even if that feeling only lasts a couple of minutes).

So, my next step is to get a calendar, and a big green sharpie (green because it’s my favorite color and a sharpie because I just love the permanence of it).  When do I start? Monday, 17th of June in the year 2013.  I need the weekend to get my affairs in order just in case taking my one hour of me-time away does in fact send me over the edge.  Plus, my OCD will not allow me to start at the near-end of a week.  That’s just crazy talk. 

After one week, I will post my progress, and see if I need some other form of motivation…or if I need to check myself into an institution. 


*  Meyers, D. G. (2011). Exploring Psychology: Eighth Edition in Modules (8th ed.). New York, NY: Worth Publishers.

1 comment:

  1. Are you institutionalized yet? how goes the goal keeping?

    ReplyDelete