Thursday, July 11, 2013

It's not about flying...

But I was doing some scenario based training today with the police department.  They have role-players come in and act out scenarios that officers need to work through.  It’s all really fun and cool and stuff, but that’s not what I care about.

We were doing a scenario with expired tags, and the officers had to pull the role-player over and what not.  Some other officers were just observing, and when the role-player asked, “Why did you pull me over?” the observing officer said, “Well, at least she’s not black.”

For some reason, this really made me angry.  I told that officer to go pound sand, and that that attitude is not only incredibly unprofessional, but it’s just wrong.  I understand that this “joke” was a generalized statement, at that it can sometimes be true, but the preconceived notions people have are messed up, and especially in a place of power like a police officer.

I face stereotypes all the time.  Especially being a woman pilot.  I always hear, “Women can’t drive, so why are you allowed to fly?” or “Don’t you belong in the kitchen?”  These statements really get my blood boiling.  How dare someone question my abilities because I am a woman.  Urgh! 

I realize that some stereotypes are good, like if I was downtown and I came across a biker gang, I’d exercise caution knowing that biker gangs were notorious for being violent.  However, there is a time and place, and if at any time professionalism comes into play, it shouldn’t be tolerated.

I realize that I may have no authority on this matter, and that I’m probably being near-sighted about all of it, but I just really hate that that is how some people react.  Women are not always homemakers.  There are plenty of men who do that too.  And, in a lot of homes, the woman is the primary breadwinner, and they are capable of doing anything they put their minds too.  Including flying.  African Americans are not all criminals or violent.  They are humans, just like the rest of us, and they are perfectly capable of being compliant and honest.


I know it was a joke, but man, even a joke that narrow-minded needs to be addressed.  

1 comment: